WGMU Radio is hiring paid and volunteer executive/general staff positions for the upcoming Fall 2017-Spring 2018 academic year. The station will be seeking to fill the following positions:
- Produce creative ideas to promote/market the station to the George Mason University student body, community and at times to the greater Fairfax/D.C. area.
- Work with local venues, artists, and promoters to promote and giveaway tickets for concerts, festivals, performances, etc.
- Facilitate WGMU’s social media, including ticket giveaways.
- Participating in WGMU information kiosks around campus (passing out flyers, WGMU merchandise, business cards, word-of-mouth information). Potential classroom visits as scheduled.
- Be able to fulfill tasks related to promoting WGMU and/or matters related to the station that are assigned to them by the Office of the Program Director/General Manager.
- Work with on-air broadcasters in developing/promoting their programs.
- Work with those in the university community by pairing up with other student organizations to co-sponsor events, bring them on board with events we’re doing and at times working to obtain sponsorship for events that WGMU is related to.
- Be available to assist at WGMU and/or Student Media related events in which the station is participating in/sponsoring.
- All aforementioned duties are also as per the Office of the General Manager and have the ability to be amended. The Marketing Director is contracted with 10 to 12 hours of work per week during the semester.
The Marketing Director is an Executive Staff Level stipend paid position, or held by an individual for academic internship credit approved by the holder’s respective academic major department. The individual shall serve as the head of the Marketing Department, an independent departmental office within WGMU, overseen directly by the Office of the General Manager. The station Marketing Director will work 10-12 hours per week.
- Charged with overseeing all music operations within WGMU Radio.
- Charting all songs played on WGMU weekly for submission to record companies.
- Coordinating the addition of all music into our automated OTS system.
- Reviewing all music sent to the station digitally and by mail.
- Organizing and maintaining the physical CD collection of WGMU.
- Holding a Music department/Music Review Committee meeting every week, serving as head.
- Communicating with music promoters about airplay and song information.
The position of Music Director is a stipend paid Executive staff level position. The individual will serve as head of the music department and Music Review Committee, directly overseen by the office of the General Manager. The station Music Director will work 10-12 hours per week.
* Overseeing the management of PSA creation and production.
* Overseeing the management of the production studio. This includes updating the production studio scheduling and being responsible for permanent slot scheduling request.
* Maintaining the upkeep and cleanliness of the production studio.
* Maintaining the upkeep of the production studio computer and managing audio files, sign-in logs and equipment.
* Be available to assist at WGMU and/or Student Media related events in which the station is participating in/sponsoring.
* Assisting within the production and music departments of WGMU as seen fit by the Music or Program Directors, with direct oversight by General Manager.
Production Director is a Senior General Staff Level stipend-paid position, or held by an individual for academic internship credit approved by the holder’s respective academic major department. The individual shall be overseen by the General Manager of WGMU Radio. The production director will work 7.5 hours a week.
- Responsible for overseeing, and the coordination of, all on-air sports programming with the Program Director and General Manager.
- Serve as WGMU Radio’s main liaison to the GMU Department of Athletics and it’s administrators.
- Create new sports programming and sports content for the station.
- Responsible for updating the sports sections of the website and creating new and updated sports content on WGMU’s site. (Serving as editor/head of the WGMU Sports Bloggers group)
- Working with other Student Media entities to create shared sports content.
- Hosting a weekly sports program on WGMU Radio.
Sports Director is a Senior Staff Level position, held by an individual for academic internship credit approved by the holder’s respective academic major department, or on volunteer basis. The individual shall be overseen by the General Manager of WGMU Radio. The sports director will work 5 hours per week.
Local Music Director:
- Charged with overseeing all local music operations within WGMU Radio.
- Responsible for the local music section of our automated system along with the local music physical CD collection in the WGMU offices.
- Staying in close communication with the Music and Program directors about local music and OTS system updates.
- Reviewing new local music submitted to us each week. (Listening to local music submissions and either approving/denying their airplay on WGMU).
- Holding a Local Music department meeting every week with Music Director.
- Sending out a list of local DC, Maryland, and Virginia area shows for DJ’s to attend, as well as reaching out to local bands for submission requests each month.
The position of Independent and Local Music Director is a volunteer/internship Senior Staff position held by an individual for academic internship credit approved by the holder’s respective academic major department. The individual shall be overseen by the General Manager of WGMU Radio. The individual will work 5 hours per week.
TO APPLY: All interested job applicants should submit a completed WGMU Employment Application and your current resume with a cover letter (references are preferred) to WGMU General Manager Matt Dotson by email: firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and the position title in the subject line.
Download the job application here: WGMU-EMPLOYMENT-APP
The deadline for submissions will be two weeks from this initial post, on April 3rd at 4 PM EST.
All applicants should be current George Mason University students taking 9 or more credit hours during employment.
WGMU Radio is an employer of equal opportunity. All genders, races and orientations are encouraged to apply.